BAS and Payroll Course
Obtain a nationally recognised BAS Agent Course qualification that’s ideal for bookkeepers who already possess an approved older qualification.
This course meets the education requirements of the Tax Practitioners Board for BAS preparers from the Tax Agent Services Act 2009, as a Board-approved course in basic GST/BAS taxation principles (GST/BAS course).
Study our BAS and Payroll courses to obtain the skills to confidently prepare and manage payroll and BAS day to day.
Applied Education has been delivering payroll courses since 1999, with detailed online course tutorials, lecture notes and slides.
- Approved by the Tax Practitioners Board for BAS Agent registration
- The BAS agent pathway course is a nationally recognised course
- Choose between the complete course or just the units you require to meet TPB requirements
Units of Competency
FNSSS00004 - BAS Agent Registration Skill Set
The BAS Agent Registration course consists of two units of study:
AEBA01 - GST Law and Activity Statements
(equivalent to FNSTPB401 Complete business activity and instalment activity statements, formerly FNSBKG404)
AEBA02 - Payroll administration and practice
(equivalent to FNSTPB402 Establish and maintain payroll systems, formerly FNSBKG405)
Units can be completed in your choice of either Reckon, Xero or MYOB.
TPB Approved - Board approved course
Online Learning - Start any time
Video Tutorials - Access classroom recordings
Enrol in only the units you need - One or both units
2-unit combo price $595 - Single unit $379 each
As a Registered Training Organisation (ID 52240), we comply with the government’s strict quality and consistency standards. We conduct regular audits to ensure we keep this accreditation and deliver the level of training you deserve. Our Tax Practitioner Board approved course for BAS agents is recognised in all states and territories of Australia.
- There is no minimum time limit to complete the course.
- You choose the pace of study to suit your personal situation.
- Students familiar with bookkeeping and accounting concepts may complete the two units in as little as 1 month to 2 months, particularly classroom or online learning students who follow our classroom tutorials completing one unit per week.
- The BAS Agent course has a 12 month duration, with a 3 month extension available at no additional cost if required. Extensions beyond this period are assessed based on individual circumstances.
Assessments are completed using a variety of methods and submitted via our online student portal.
Assessments are open book, at either your home, office or classroom, and comprise of multiple choice quizzes, short answer questions and calculations.
BAS agent units require the use of accounting software, and can be completed in any accounting package such as Xero, Reckon One, or MYOB student version (supplied). Simply upload copies of reports as PDFs from within your accounting package.
Tax Practitioners Board Licensing Course units also include an exam component which needs to be independently supervised, to be completed within 12 months from your enrolment date.
- The practical component of the assessment comprises of processing simulated pay runs and month end procedures can be completed in any software of your choosing or using the MYOB Student version provided.
- Prior to the assessment, you will need to complete and return the Supervisor Nomination Form to Applied Education detailing your supervisor information, contact details and date of assessment.
If you cannot arrange a supervisor then we also offer the following options for conducting your supervised assessment:
Skype Online - online supervised exam with one of our staff members
Perth Training Centre - Level 1, 524 Hay St Perth WA 6000
Melbourne Training Centre - Level 27, 101 Collins St. Melbourne Vic 3000
Sydney Training Centre - Level 26, 44 Market St. Sydney NSW 2000
Adelaide Training Centre - Level 30, Westpac House. 91 King William St Adelaide SA 5000
Brisbane Training Centre - Level 19, 10 Eagle St. Brisbane QLD 4000
The TPB BAS Agent Course study manuals, online tutorials and class recordings are packed with high quality content, with plenty of visuals and practice exercises to keep the study varied and interesting.
You will also have access to a team of qualified trainers to ensure you get the most out of the materials.
PDF manuals are included with each course, in addition you can purchase hard copies for a small fee.
Microsoft Windows is the preferred operating system for the study of this course. All student data files are supplied in Windows format.
Mac users – we do include access to a Mac version of MYOB Student Edition, but please be aware that if you select this option, the data files required for some units and options available to you may be different from the manual. This will not affect your grades, and assessors can still mark using the Mac version.
Internet access – reliable internet connection (such as ADSL) required. All data files, learning activities and MYOB software are available to download via our student portal.
BAS agent Information
To become a registered BAS agent, the Tax Practitioners Board will assess your qualifications and experience to ensure you satisfy the requirements outlined in the Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 (TASR). More information on this can be found here.
The current requirements include having at least a Certificate IV in Financial Services (bookkeeping or accounting), as well as a board-approved course in GST and BAS taxation principles, plus enough relevant and recent experience within the field.
Applied Education also offers the full FNS40217 Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping course.