Becoming a Tax Agent in Australia is a relatively straight forward process in order to meet the requirements of the Tax Practitioners Board Tax Agent specifications.
Applied Education’s 3 steps to becoming a Tax Agent in Australia
Applied Education has hundreds of students each year asking us this question and here are our tips for getting your qualification and becoming a tax agent in Australia.
Education Requirements for Tax Agents
The minimum education requirements to become a Tax Agent are
Step 1 – Accounting Qualification – Diploma of Accounting or higher
Step 2 – Tax Practitioner Board Approved Course in Australian Tax Law and Commercial Law
- Tax Practitioner Board Approved Course in Australian Taxation Law
- Tax Practitioner Board Approved Course in Commercial Law
If you already have an Accounting qualification such as a Bachelor of Accounting or an overseas Accounting qualification such as a Bachelor of Commerce, we suggest you give the Tax Practitioners Board a call to discuss your qualification and experience before enroling in our course. That way you can find out exactly which additional units you need to study.
- The TPB allow what is known as a mix and match approach to gaining the required qualifications.
- Often students with an Accounting degree get exemptions from some units.
- The TPB then advise exactly which additional units you need to study.
- At Applied Education, we are happy to enrol students in single or multiple units as required to meet TPB education requirements.
Step 3 – Relevant Experience
The Tax Practitioners Board requires evidence of relevant experience in providing tax agent services
For Example relevant experience could be:
- Working as registered tax agent
- Working under the supervision and control of a registered tax agent
- Undertaking tax work as a legal practitioner
The relevant experience needed will vary depending on your qualification. It can vary from twelve month up to two years.
So in summary in order to become a Tax Agent in Australia you need the following three requirements.
- A minimum qualification in Accounting – Diploma or higher
- A TPB board approved course in Tax Law and Commercial Law
- Practical experience in tax – 12 to 24 months
For more information about how to become a Tax Agent please call one of our experienced Accounting & Taxation course coordinators or email [email protected]